Sunday 29 September 2013

Fresh flowers, for longer

I am quite the fan of fresh flowers. Nothing brightens up my home more. I always try to have at least 1 (2) vases going. Some might say it's expensive... have you checked out Aldi's el' cheapo?
And a secret from me to you, if you missed them at your weekend farmers market, Woolworths reduces whatever they didn't sell on the weekend on a Monday morning. 

gorgeous farmers market blooms

Treat your blooms right and they'll last you for a couple of weeks:
- snip your stems at a steep angle
- remove the leaves close to the bottom of the stem, these go horrible and moldy if they're sitting in the water
- make sure your vase is cleaned in hot soapy water with no residue left
- I add about a 1/4 tsp hydrogen peroxide, a couple of tbsp white vinegar and a couple tbsp sugar to my water
- change your water every couple of days, adding your mix from above
- taking a little more off the stem will help preserve your flowers as well



el' cheapo Aldi $4 flowers
 
spring blooms

 Enjoy your gorgeous Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I really love this idea, I want to keep fresh flowers around so much! But the blasted hayfever limits my ability to :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's no good! Hayfever really makes things harder! Maybe some nice pretend fresh flowers would do the trick :)

      Delete